Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cooking Lesson

We just finish unites 7th and 8th form our book Impact Phrases. We have been learning international food from Mexico, USA, Italy, Japan, and China. First I introduce to my students unite 7, which is dishes and descriptions. First, I explain to them dishes.

Unit 7
Dishes
In the book, it says,
  • "it is a special dish form Mexico" It is a Mexican Specialty.
  • "It is a food made with bread from the US," which is American sandwich.
  • "It is an hors d'oeuvre from Italy, it is an Italian appertizer.
  • "It is a sweet from China," It is a Chinese dessert.
  • "It is a between-meal food from Japan," It is a Japnese Sushi.
After introducing dishes I introduce to students descriptions words like,
  • It is a kind of fish cooked in oil
    It is a kind of fried fish
  • It is kind of grilled meat
    It is a kind of barbecued meat
  • It is kind of salad with lots of ingredients
    It is a kind of mixed salad
  • It is kind of hot soup
    It is a kind of spicy soup
  • It is a kind of preserved vegetable
    It is a kind of pickled vegetable

Unite 8th

After introducing dishes and descriptions, I decided to make them to prepare a dish from these five countries. I divided my entire class with 55 students into 10 groups. We have two groups of Japanese food, two of Chinese food, two of Mexican food, two of Italian food, and two of American food. Two gorups of Chinese food cannot prepare the same dish and other group.

My girls can have entire class hour for discussions. I did not think this kind of discussion can take thme for a long time.