Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween






It is very unusual in Taiwan to see Halloween celebrations. My students do not know what is Halloween. I decided today to make them to dress up and I told them things about Halloween. I made the power point into a video, I have the history, terminology, symbols of Halloween, pumpkin patch, trick or treat, games and songs of Halloween.
Also, I decorated my classroom with Halloween things. When my students entered to my room, they will feel Halloween in Taiwan. They all told me they like it and made it very cool.

My students came, I gave them 10 minutes to do the make up thing or put their costumes. All of my students dressed up and they were so busy to put their costumes. They were painting their faces, they were happy to have Halloween here in Taiwan for the first time. I dressed up, too. I was the witch with skull eyes. It was so funny to see everyone dressed up in my class and have a Halloween theme.

After explaining about Halloween, I made students to line up for trick and treat. All they had to do is "knock" my door and say "trick or treat," then, I will give them candies and chocolates.

Unfortunately, I could not find 15 minutes videos about Halloween here in Taiwan, otherwise, I will show them how the Halloween is celebrate in USA or other countries. The unique about Halloween in the USA is that every house decorate their houses and in the evening, you can see many lights, it is like Christmas.

After all, they had fun and I am glad they did understand what is Halloween, instead of trick or treat. The Halloween lesson turned out very understandable and meaningful for them.